Support, Advocacy, Education and Community for those affected by Williams Syndrome


Federal and Provincial Resources

Canada is committed to ensuring effective support and programs are there for individuals with disabilities and their families. The following are federal and provincial links to information on disability supports available and how services vary from province to province. Additionally, a listing of provincial associations for community living that can help with advocacy, support and respect for human rights.

Federal Resources

  1. Disability Tax Credit, Government of Canada
  2. Disability Benefits, Government of Canada
  3. Canadian Human Rights Commission
  4. About The Henson Trust
  5. The Disability Tax Credit Ultimate Resource Guide

Disability Tax Credit (DTC)
You or your child may be eligible for the DTC if a medical practitioner certifies that you have a severe and prolonged impairment in 1 of the categories, significant limitations in 2 or more categories:

  • Walking
  • Mental functions
  • Dressing
  • Feeding
  • Eliminating
  • Hearing
  • Speaking
  • Vision
  • Life-sustaining therapy

How to apply?

Get a medical practitioner to fill out a T2201 form and submit it to CRA via mail or online through MyCRA. This can make a difference of thousands of dollars on your tax payable each year.

Provincial Resources

At Home Program

  • BC has a government program for Children with disabilities called the “at home program”: Children and youth who are assessed as dependent in three of four areas of daily living (eating, dressing, toileting and washing) are eligible for a choice of medical or respite benefits. Those who are dependent in all four areas are eligible for both benefits.
  • Children are eligible for admission after the age of three. The program can cover costs such as diapers, wipes, formula / pediasure, and medical devices such as walkers or AFOs.

Infant Development Program (IDP)

  • The Infant Development Program provides home-based prevention and early intervention services to infants and young children up to three years of age. Consultants assist families in acquiring the tools, skills and community connections needed to promote optimal child development and support developmental challenges. To find a program in your area, ask your public health nurse or physician - a referral is required.
  • Some programs will have other therapies such as physiotherapy, occupational therapy, and speech therapy within their service offering, in addition to IDP.
  • Some practitioners will visit your child’s daycare, provided the daycare agrees to this arrangement.
  • Funding for 1:1 support for daycare can be facilitated through the Infant Development Program. Depending on the funding and availability in your area, this option may not be available when it is requested.